Saturday, April 21, 2012

A new toy in the shop

I have been looking for one of these for quite a while.  I finally got my hands on one this very morning!  It's a machinists vice.  One with an X-Y translation stage as an integral part of the vice.  Basically, it can turn my drill-press into a limited capacity milling machine!  Sort of a mini Bridgeport!



I actually saw this vice last week at the little flea down the hill from Wal*Mart in Lunenburg.  Unfortunately I didn't have the cash on me at the time to buy it.  I would have right then and there if I had.  Mum and I made a special trip out there again today in hopes that the vice would still be available.  As I said last week to the guy selling it "If it's meant to be it will still be here.  If not, well, ..." such is life. (or some such.  I don't remember my exact words.)  Anywho, it was still there today so I snapped it up.

It seems to be in pretty good shape.  I have no idea how old it may be or how much use it may have had over it's life so far.  I also haven't found any builder's plate or other identification as to who made it.  It does need a good cleaning, lubrication and adjustment.  That is to be expected with this type of machine tool.  I will also have to replace both cranks.

Even after it's all cleaned up I don't expect to be doing any real precision machining.  I'm not sure mild steel is really a possibility using this with my drill-press.  Aluminum and other soft metals, plastics and maybe some wood should be workable using this rig.

First I need to clean it up and get it ready for action.  Then I need to dream up some things to make with it.

This is going to be fun!

2 comments:

Wolfman said...

My dad has one very similar to that in his shop in MT. He has done a few mild steel projects, but its veerrrrryyyyy slow. Looks like fun though!

HerrBGone said...

Turns out that it is!

While I was puttering around in the shop a little last night I chucked up a center drill (next up on my shopping list will be an actual end mill or twelve...) and tried cutting a zigzag groove in some soft scrap wood. Just because... ;-)

It works!

It's not at all precise without proper cranks and there is quite a bit of backlash. But I think with a good cleaning and some practice using it, it will become a favorite tool. At least until I prove to myself that I use it enough to upgrade to something bigger, and more precise.